It takes a village to maintain this web site going. From tech and coding to design to fixing bugs getting readers books when downloads fail to scheduling social media or operating the boards, I’ve plenty of assist. I merely couldn’t run the web site, write, journey, eat, sleep, or something in between if I didn’t have the help and assist of an incredible group of individuals.
It’s not simply me writing and posting about my travels. I’ve a giant group of full-time employees serving to juggle every little thing.
I’ve realized plenty of you don’t know that so, in the present day, I wish to introduce the workforce to you.
So, with out additional ado, right here they’re:
Erica has been working for me for nearly six and a half years and is the occasions director of The Nomadic Community, our journey group. She retains this group thriving. In her personal phrases:
I grew up in Connecticut and went to highschool in Virginia. Throughout a quarter-life disaster at age 21, I selected to complete my final 12 months of faculty on an journey in Qatar! From that second on, my life revolved round touring cheaply with the cash I earned from waitressing. That finances received me to show English in Isaan, Thailand, and South Korea; farm on St. Vincent and the Grenadines within the Caribbean and Costa Rica; and volunteer in rural Zambia. At age 26, I returned dwelling to Connecticut, decided to get a job in journey. Quickly after, I met Nomadic Matt at a journey meet-up in NYC, and the remainder is historical past.
I whole-heartedly imagine that touring makes pals of strangers, and the extra pals there are on the planet, the extra peace there’s on the planet.
13 Information about Me
- At 15, I helped construct a schoolhouse in Nicaragua.
- 1. I cooked an American Thanksgiving feast for my Thai co-English academics in Thailand the place barely any of the mashed potatoes, carrots and peas had been eaten so my host-grandmother fed in to the monks for the next week unbeknownst to me.
- I’ve reduce off my hair and donated it to Locks of Love, twice!
- I as soon as hunted for possums on the island of St. Vincent with a bunch of Rastafarians. We caught 4 and made soup. I used to be a vegetarian on the time.
- In Costa Rica, I stayed at in a sustainable residing group referred to as Rancho Mastatal, the place I discovered how one can farm yuca, make beer out of turmeric, and construct a home out of cob.
- I spent 11 days on a coconut water solely quick at a yoga retreat in Cambodia, twice
- I taught English in South Korea for 14 months and was capable of simply save sufficient cash for 21 months of continuous journey. I additionally taught the scholars how one can use “boo” colloquially.
- This music video I made was one of many prime hits if you looked for St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
- In Zambia, my good friend and I got a dwell rooster as a gift. We had been vegetarians, so we traded it for a pair of second-hand denims within the city’s market.
- I received 19 folks (the scholars and academics on a FLYTE journey) into an airport lounge in Ecuador totally free. I feel that’s a journey hacking document!
- My school schooling was completely free. How? I received a ton of tiny scholarships (I utilized for everybody I might get my arms on) that added up, being a Residential Assistant within the dorms, and learning in Qatar really saved me cash (in the costliest nation on the planet).
- In Korea, I dated a man who spoke no English and we principally communicated by drawing photos and reciting American rap lyrics.
- Final summer time, I took a visit to Tunisia with some pals. I want I might have stayed longer – what a cool nation!
Chris joined the workforce because the part-time supervisor of the boards again in 2015. Since then, he’s transitioned to full-time and has branched out into the Famous person Running a blog program and helps me with all of our numerous admin duties. In his personal phrases:
I grew up in a small city in Ontario, Canada, and spent my adolescence listening to punk rock, studying Star Wars novels, and customarily getting as much as no good. After ditching my lifelong plan to be a lawyer, I made a decision to present journey a strive. I headed to Costa Rica on a whim and have by no means regarded again! It wasn’t lengthy after that journey that I took a break from college (the place I used to be learning historical past and theatre) to maneuver to a monastery in Japan in 2007. I’ve kind of been wandering round ever since. Some notable adventures embody taking the Trans-Siberian Railway throughout Russia and Mongolia, strolling the Camino de Santiago twice, and occurring a 10-day street journey round Iceland with full strangers.
After I’m not touring, I dwell in Sweden and will be discovered studying, writing, or hanging out with my rescue canine, Grimo.
13 Information about Me
- I spent 9 months residing in Buddhist monasteries.
- I lived in a tent for a 12 months.
- I used to be as soon as stalked by a jaguar and chased by a crocodile — on the identical journey.
- I haven’t had alcohol in 16 years.
- I’ve damaged all my fingers and toes, and my nostril thrice, and I’ve fractured each my wrists.
- I labored on an natural farm for 11 years.
- I co-owned a restaurant in Canada.
- I grew up subsequent door to Avril Lavigne.
- I wrote a guide (and am engaged on one other one)
- I performed inter-mural Quidditch in highschool and was our workforce’s Seeker.
- I’ve a Star Wars tattoo.
- I’ve been vegan for 15 years.
- I’ve a scar from a combat that broke out over which Norse god was “the perfect.”
Chris, aka The Aussie Nomad, is a (kinda) former blogger who does all of the tech and improvement work for the web site. He retains it operating, fixes any errors you discover, and offers with my consistently altering design needs. In his personal phrases:
I’m residing the nice life in Western Australia by the seaside with my superb household. I received into the world of running a blog after quitting my job, backpacking round Europe and, as all Aussies do, endeavor a working vacation within the UK. Like all of us who journey and fall in love with it, no person desires to go dwelling afterwards.
That journey received me into making a journey weblog a few years in the past, which is how I first got here to know Matt. I’ve since repurposed my IT expertise from my outdated life and fashioned my very own enterprise to assist out different bloggers with their web sites.
13 Information about Me
- I like Belgian beer (and I even married a Belgian).
- I’ve labored with Matt the longest out of anybody right here. (Take that workforce!)
- I took off to backpack Europe after I was 29.
- I’m an advocate for Vegemite and imagine all guests to Australia should do this nationwide treasure.
- One in all my favourite actions is to take a protracted street journey, particularly with household and pals.
- I don’t know how four-way cease alerts in the united statesA. don’t all find yourself as accidents.
- I don’t drink Fosters. It’s a horrible beer. Nobody in Australia really drinks it.
- I like to think about myself as an beginner photographer.
- I failed kindergarten as I wouldn’t say goodbye to the instructor.
- My first job was working in a grocery store.
- I can’t sleep on a airplane – irrespective of how lengthy the flight is.
- I can title each Thomas the Tank Engine character because of my son.
- I don’t drink espresso or get folks’s love for it. Tea all the best way!
Raimee does all of our social media and content material advertising and marketing. She schedules posts, tweaks my horrible images so they appear good on Instagram, builds out our content material calendar, analyzes knowledge, edits video, creates digital advertising and marketing campaigns, and designs our social media graphics! In her personal phrases:
After I was simply 14 years outdated, I took my first worldwide journey to Honduras and Belize with my household. Ever since then, I’ve been hooked on experiencing new cultures, connecting with folks from all walks of life, and studying about myself and the world by the facility of journey! After graduating with a level in promoting and advertising and marketing from Michigan State College and 4 years as a digital advertising and marketing specialist, I spotted that company life was not for me. My insatiable have to expertise the world past a desk led me to seek for a job-related to journey. I’ve adopted this weblog for a few years, and now I get to work for it remotely whereas I strategize, handle, and report on the social media accounts — and I like each second of it!
13 Information about Me
- I’m obsessive about Harry Potter. I’ve learn every guide at the least 10 occasions. If I instructed you what number of occasions I’ve watched the films, you in all probability wouldn’t imagine me.
- I as soon as frolicked with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter!) at a Purple Wings recreation in Detroit, and truly stored my cool the entire time (facet observe: He’s a SUPER good man!)
- Visiting the Harry Potter studio tour in London was the most effective days of my life.
- My mother was obsessive about the 80’s horror film Evil Useless directed by Sam Raimi, so she named me after him.
- After having visited about 30 nations, Iceland remains to be my favourite.
- My largest journey dream is to take a street journey round New Zealand!
- I attempt to learn 1-2 guide(s) EVERY week!
- I used to play the saxophone (and I want I nonetheless did!)
- I conquered my concern of heights by leaping off a cliff in Croatia — twice!
- I like languages and was near being fluent in German throughout school.
- I’ve acted in a couple of unbiased and brief movies and as an additional in some community TV reveals (I even have an IMDB web page!)
- In one other life, I might have been a movie director/producer. Perhaps some day!
- My favourite quantity is 13.
Carmela is the Government Director of our non-profit FLYTE that makes journey accessible to underserved youth from throughout the nation. She handles something and every little thing from fundraising, working with our associate faculties to plan scholar journeys overseas, connecting with our unbelievable donor group, and managing our volunteer workforce.
Born and raised in New Jersey, I had the privilege of taking my first worldwide journey after I was three to go to my household within the Philippines the place I refused to experience the native jeepneys as a result of they didn’t have seatbelts! Since then, my love for journey has developed. In 2012, my husband, Raymund, and I took a around the world honeymoon that was speculated to scratch the journey itch (lol). We got here again dwelling to NYC for a couple of years earlier than taking the leap to turn into full-time distant employees, and have lived all around the world ever since.
After I’m not operating FLYTE, I like planning journeys (even when they’re not my very own), practising yoga, mountaineering, mountain climbing, studying, consuming, and consuming cookies (that are their very own meals group, for my part).
- I LOVE Math! I’ve a level in it, taught statistics to school college students, and few issues make me happier than a properly functioning Excel spreadsheet.
- I come from a household of educators. My dad and mom had been each academics earlier than they immigrated to the US from the Philippines within the 70’s. Earlier than I left to journey, I labored for the Chancellor of NYC Public Colleges, the biggest college district within the nation, and now operating FLYTE is just about my dream job as a result of it combines my love for schooling with journey.
- The Infamous BIG and I share the identical birthday. Juicy is one among my favourite songs.
- I nonetheless don’t absolutely perceive how one can use Twitter.
- I like suspenseful films & TV reveals, however hate the sensation of being in suspense, so I typically learn what occurs earlier than watching so I can calm down and luxuriate in my viewing expertise.
- My favourite cartoon is Alvin & the Chipmunks. I nonetheless have an Alvin doll that I used to be gifted on my 1st birthday. It bears no resemblance to the precise Alvin Seville anymore.
- I attended an all women highschool and a ladies’s school – that atmosphere there largely formed who I’m in the present day.
- My responsible pleasure is watching Terrace Home – the Japanese equal to the Actual World.
- My dad has an similar twin brother and so they used to play methods on me and my cousin once we had been youthful. It’s equally humorous and traumatizing.
- I hate raisins, particularly in cookies.
- I’m an solely youngster, however have over 30 first cousins. I like them as in the event that they had been my precise siblings.
- Raymund and I met in Hawaii. For that, and plenty of different causes, it’s my most favourite place on the planet.
- I do know each lyric to each music from the Sound of Music.
And, lastly, there’s me. You in all probability know lots about me after twelve years of running a blog (typically I neglect how lengthy it’s been), however right here’s a fast refresh:
Rising up in Boston, I used to be by no means a giant traveler. I didn’t take my first journey abroad till 2004. That journey modified my life and opened me as much as the probabilities the world needed to supply. One 12 months later, I went to Thailand, the place I met 5 backpackers who impressed me to give up my job and journey the world. In 2006, I left for a yearlong backpacking journey — and have been “nomadic” ever since.
13 Information about Me
- I like politics as a lot as I like journey and can debate for the enjoyment for it.
- I like to prepare dinner.
- After I was in highschool, I used to be my state’s champ in “Magic: the Gathering.” I do know — tremendous nerdy, proper? It received me a free journey NYC with my good friend (who got here in quantity two!).
- I at all times fear concerning the future and sometimes use my time again dwelling to develop expertise wanted for the Zombie Apocalypse. Shout-out to my prepper good friend Vanessa for educating me about seeds!
- I as soon as met Paul Giamatti on the streets of NYC and he was as grumpy as I imagined.
- I’m an unabashed Taylor Swift fan.
- I don’t drink espresso.
- I imagine aliens exist. It’s mathematically unimaginable they don’t.
- I’m fearful of flying.
- I discovered to swing dance so I might throw myself a Gatsby-themed party.
- Either side of my household got here by Ellis Island and you’ll see their names on the wall the place they listing all of the immigrants.
- I was the top of a program by the Massachusetts Sierra Membership that promoted vitality effectivity.
- I went to school to be a highschool historical past instructor.
So there you’ve got it! The Nomadic Matt workforce! It’s bizarre to assume this weblog I began to easily be on-line résumé for freelance jobs now requires eleven folks to run. I at all times thought the extra programs, automation, merchandise, and passive revenue I arrange, the better it will be. I might simply sit on a seaside. However it appears the extra we do, the extra we create, the extra tasks I inform the workforce we’re taking over, the extra assist we require. I assume that’s the nature of the beast however I might have it no different approach. I like what we do right here. We assist lots of people understand their desires.
And a man couldn’t ask for higher co-workers to assist make that occur.
P.S. – We’ve launched a brand new Patreon the place you will get tales and suggestions I don’t share on this weblog, a personal Fb group, telephone calls with me and the workforce, dwell Q&As, postcards from the street, signed copies of my books, and rather more! Click on right here to get entry!
E book Your Journey: Logistical Ideas and Tips
E book Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight through the use of Skyscanner or Momondo. They’re my two favourite search engines like google, as a result of they search web sites and airways across the globe so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
E book Your Lodging
You possibly can guide your hostel with Hostelworld as they’ve the biggest stock. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Reserving.com, as they persistently return the most affordable charges for guesthouses and resorts. I take advantage of them on a regular basis.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will defend you towards sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes unsuitable. I by no means go on a visit with out it, as I’ve had to make use of it many occasions prior to now. I’ve been utilizing World Nomads for ten years. My favourite corporations that supply the perfect service and worth are:
In search of the perfect corporations to save cash with?
Try my useful resource web page for the perfect corporations to make use of if you journey! I listing all these I take advantage of — and so they’ll prevent money and time too!